Friday, September 18, 2015

DIY Femme Tenth Doctor Cosplay

    ComiCon is a week from tomorrow, and I'm so excited!  However, I don't yet have pictures of our costumes for this year.  So today I thought I'd throwback to our first year at ComiCon and my 10th Doctor cosplay.


    This was a super fun cosplay, and relatively easy to put together.  It got a lot of attention at ComiCon because although there were a lot of Doctors (male 10th Doctors, and male and female 11th Doctors), I was the only femme 10th Doctor.  For those of you who are unfamiliar with the terms, femme generally refers to a feminine form of a male character, whereas genderswap or genderbend refers to when a female dresses as a male, or vice versa.

    First off, I always find a good photo on the internet to go off of.  Here's one of David Tennant as the 10th Doctor in his blue suit:
    So, for your femme cosplay, the first and most important item (partially because it may be one of the hardest to find) is a blue, pinstripe skirt or dress.


     Your best bet may be looking for this on the internet...I say this even though I hate shopping for clothes on the internet.  I got lucky.  I saw this one on the internet, and then realized it was from H&M.  So I went to our local H&M and happened to find the very last one that was on the rack, and it happened to be my size.  Score!

    Next, if you've chosen a skirt and not a dress, you'll need a white button-up shirt.


    This should be relatively easy to find, though don't take my word on that!  I saw this one at H&M when I was shopping for the skirt.  I think I ended up paying about $40-$50 for the skirt and shirt together.

    You will also need a red neck tie...this one I borrowed from my dear husband.  :)


    If you have a husband, boyfriend, dad, grandfather...any kind of man in your life, chances are they have one of these.  If not, it should be easy to find one.

    The second difficult to find item is a brown trench coat.


     David's coat is more of a medium-brown, while my coat ended up being more camel colored.  However, I was excited just to find this coat, so I wasn't going to be too picky about the color.  I'm sure that you could order one online and get it closer in color, but I was looking to spend the minimal amount.  And guess what?  $12 at a local thrift store.  Score again!

    Next you'll need a great pair of red shoes.


     My first plan was to go with red Converse, just like the Doctor wears.  However, like I said before, I didn't want to spend a lot of money on this costume, especially on items that I wouldn't wear outside of cosplay.  Converse isn't my personal style, so I really didn't want to invest in a pair of them to wear once or twice.  I looked for knock off brands, but no luck finding the right color.  Then I went shopping at Payless, and found this pair for $10.  I couldn't pass that up!  They're super cute, and they were the same type of canvas fabric as a pair of Converse.  Plus, I think they ended up looking much better with the whole outfit than sneakers would have.

    And that's your outfit!

    The only thing left is a couple of accessories, which aren't absolutely vital, but I definitely recommend having.

    A pair of brown, rectangular glasses (with no/fake lenses if you don't need them!), and of course, your trusty sonic screwdriver!  The 10th Doctor's screwdriver can be found in multiple places such as  Walmart or Barnes & Noble, for $21-$25.  It may not be the most important piece of the costume, but it's a whole lot of fun to play with!  :)

    As far as hairstyle goes, I chose to have my hair pulled back out of my face, but with a "bump" in the front, to kind of mimic David Tennant's hair.  

    This is a fairly easy style.  There might be fancier ways to accomplish it...Bump Its and whatnot, but I made a short (2 min) video on how I do it.


    Also, one last detail (and in cosplay, it's all about the details!)...the shoes I found were peep toes.  So, I had to make sure my toenails looked nice!  I chose to paint them with a galaxy style.  Maybe someday I'll do my own tutorial for that, but for now, here's one from Pinterest.  And another note on the shoes...if you do choose heels, particularly peep toes, please do what I did not and bandage your toes before hand!  You will want to take those shoes off as often as possible (sitting in celebrity panels, etc.), but you will also want to wrap up your toes and heels in bandaids/medical tape to keep them from blistering.

    This is definitely a cosplay that I plan to repeat someday (with taped up toes!).  I'd love to see your versions of the Doctor, too, so please share!


Check out my Etsy shop! I sell hand painted wooden signs with a variety of themes including geek, Disney, and Christian, and I also make custom orders!

No comments:

Post a Comment